Perhaps the wisest decision one can make when it comes to choosing their residence is to opt for a custom home build. There are many advantages to this, both in the short and long term.
5 Important Builder Questions to Ask
Starting out with a custom home building project all begins with choosing the right builder. In order to make this choice it means one has to be informed. The best way to do this is by asking the right questions of the contractors who will be taking on this project.
1. What are the Company’s Credentials?
There are various types of credentials that you will want your company of choice to have.
- Is the builder properly registered with the governing body that regulates the home building industry?
- What industry related organizations do the company affiliate with?
- Does the company have a portfolio of completed projects that you can review?
- Does the builder have a list of contacts that will provide client feedback?
2. What is the estimated length of time for completion of the custom home build?
- You will want to know the start date.
- The builder should be able to give you a close estimate of the completion date which should be your move in date.
- Will these professionals provide you with milestones so you can gauge the progress of the project?
3. Does this building company do all of the work themselves?
- You want to know if any of the work is contracted out.
- If so, what process is in place for managing the sub-contractors?
4. Will there be any additional costs outside of the quote?
- A good quality home build company will provide a quote.
- There can be unforeseen costs but your construction experts should be able to provide you with some idea as to what these can be.
5. Does the Company offer any type of warranty?
- You will want to know the length of the warranty.
- What specifically will the warranty cover?
What are Your New Home Expectations?
During the process of choosing your builder you should begin to set some expectations. Some of these should be;
a) That you will be provided with a detailed an accurate quote, and the company will honor this.
b) That you will have a qualified expert to work with you in the design of your new home.
c) A representative will be assigned to you. A knowledgeable individual that will keep you informed as to the progress.
d) That the best of materials will be used during the entire construction process.
How to Handle the Building Process
Having a custom home built is exciting but it can also be stressful. You can eliminate that stress by understanding the building process. This can vary but the main steps in this of construction project;
- Consultation and design
- Rough framing, plumbing and electrical
- Exterior completion
- Interior completion
- Installation of equipment and appliances
- Finishing touches
- Installation of décor elements
- Walkthrough and approval
This guide is the outline that gives an overview of what makes a custom home build a pleasant and enjoyable experience. To find out more how you can experience this yourself contact us for more information.